A simple and efficient refurbishment of the adjacent 1950’s Sinclair building provides laboratory areas. A key challenge was to identify and implement a strategy for renewing the full building services and facade to a strict budget. This improves the energy efficiency of the building whilst re-purposing it to meet highly demanding science teaching criteria. To minimise interruption to teaching programmes, the new facade was installed rapidly and on a floor-by-floor basis.
The Sinclair Annexe building was surprisingly complex to design: re-purposing the old student union building to provide a microscopy laboratory facility to house highly sensitive microscope equipment. The original open-plan hall and adjacent two-storey offices did not immediately lend themselves to the strict structural and environmental requirements for such exacting science. However, working in collaboration with Arup’s Advanced Technology and Research (AT&R) team the design was resolved.
Phase 1&2 – 2019 | £14M | 6300sqm